Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 7: God's Providence

"You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives."  Genesis 50:20
Main Character:  Joseph
Scripture:  Genesis 37:1-36; Genesis 49:29-50:26
*NOTE:  If you would like to study the whole story of Joseph read Genesis 37:1 - Genesis 50:26.
Symbol:  Colorful Coat

One of my father's favorite stories to tell is about an "interaction" I had with my brother Luke at the age of about eight or nine years old.  Interestingly enough, this is the first time I remember willfully lying to my parents.

I lived in my grandparents home during elementary school.  The "Crow's Nest" was a beautiful 14 room Victorian set at the top of Cotton Mountain in Wolfeboro, NH.  Our playroom was on the complete opposite side of the house from the main bedrooms, so my parents invested in a monitor and intercom system to stay in contact while we played.

Now being the oldest child, I thought I was the boss.  My brother was only about three years old and was not following the detailed instructions (otherwise known as bossiness) I was sending his way.  To teach him a lesson, I picked up a wiffle ball bat and smacked him in the back.  My father must have traveled at warp speed from his bedroom up to see why my brother was screaming at the top of his lungs.  "WHAT HAPPENED!?!"  I calmly looked in his face and said, "He hit himself in the back with a bat."  Needless to say, I received a spanking.

I'm sure Jacob would have wanted to spank his eleven boys after discovering what had happened to his youngest son, Joseph.  It was no secret that Joseph was Jacob's (also referred to as Israel) favorite son.  Fuel was added to the fire when Joseph shared with his brothers that he had been having dreams that suggested one day he would rule over his brothers.  One day the older brothers decided to throw Joseph in the equivalent of a septic tank and then sell him as a slave to the Egyptians.  They went so far as to kill a goat, wipe its blood on Joseph's coat, and then tell their father he was eaten by a wild animal - and I thought my lie was ridiculous.

Over the coming years, Joseph would find himself falsely accused of attempted rape, locked in a prison cell, prophesying to the Pharaoh, and saving the country of Egypt from severe famine that blanketed the region.  Ironically enough, Joseph's brothers had to come beg him for food needed to survive.  Time after time, Joseph served his brothers with love and respect despite what they had done to him.  God used Joseph's horrible circumstances to accomplish good works.

Ponder Points:
  • Think about how rude and disrespectful Joseph and his brothers were to each other.  Think of a time you fought with your siblings.  How can you learn to treat each other better?
  • Parents, do you find yourself playing favorites with your children?  How can you make each one of your children feel special this week?
  • Discuss how to make the best out of bad circumstances.  Try to think of a specific example in your current day to day life where you could use a change of attitude.
  • Remember that God was faithful to Joseph.  He will use each and every one of us to accomplish good if we remain obedient and faithful.


No comments:

Post a Comment